- Ruhr-Universität Bochum
Make sure to check the ERASMUS programs of the faculty if a stay abroad is supported in the Bachelor or in the Master program!
Before the stay abroad
- You search for subjects at the university abroad that you consider suitable for your course of study. Make sure that the contents and the methods used should be appropriate for your specialization. It is your responsibility to research the subjects and module descriptions and translate them if necessary.
- You discuss your choice of subjects with the program officer of your cooperation. For freemovers and students who go abroad through a cooperation of the Ruhr-Universität, Dr. Julia Riese is the program officer. In this step, any necessary conversions into the ECTS system will also be made.
- A suitable choice of subjects is recorded by the program officer in a so-called “before table”.
Consider the following points for choosing possible subjects at a foreign university for each subject category:
- Compulsory subjects: If a subject from abroad is recognized as a compulsory subject for the first time, the equivalence of the two subjects must be confirmed by the lecturer at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering. If the subject has already been recognized as a compulsory subject, the program officer can carry out the recognition. The prerequisite for this is that neither the content nor the person responsible at the foreign university have changed. In principle, we recommend that you take the compulsory subjects at the Ruhr University. For this reason, you should contact the program officer beforehand for the recognition of compulsory subjects.
- Elective subjects or profile modules: Subjects from this category can be recognized by the program officer. If necessary, this will be done in cooperation with Dr. Julia Riese. Please note that you do not necessarily have to identify subjects for this subject category that also exist analogously at our faculty. Here you have the possibility to expand your individual range of electives.
- Technical and non-technical electives can usually be recognized by the program officer without any problems. In the case of language courses, there are additional aspects to consider, which you should clarify with the program officer of your cooperation before your stay abroad.
During the stay abroad
If changes need to be made as you continue to prepare for your stay abroad or during your stay abroad, please contact your program officer(s) in a timely manner.
After the stay abroad
- After your stay abroad, submit the Transcript of Records of the foreign university to the program officer of your cooperation.
- The program officer(s) will carry out the grade conversion and, if necessary, the conversions into the ECTS system for you. You document the achievements in a corresponding recognition table and send it to the examination office. The conversion of grades is based on the Bavarian formula.
- The Examination Office checks the recognition table and enters the achievements in FlexNow.
For final theses written abroad, the same procedure applies in principle. Supervisors can be found at both universities. In contrast to the procedure above, these must be registered with the examination office prior to the stay abroad. More info you find here.